ARCHITECTURAL REVIEW BOARD (ARB)
Most exterior alterations or improvements, including painting, re-roofing, tree trimming and removals, door/window replacements, etc., requires an ARB permit. Interior remodeling will require an ARB permit if it affects the exterior appearance of the house in any way or requires a dumpster onsite. The issuance of an ARB permit generally requires a fee and, in some cases, a refundable compliance deposit. Depending on the scope of work, the application will be reviewed either at the monthly ARB meeting or administratively for approval. Once the application is submitted to the ARB office, the ARB Manager will be able to let you know the approval process for that project.
Homeowners planning changes to a house or its landscaping are encouraged to call the ARB Manager to determine if the changes being considered require ARB approval.
ARB Permits-Required or Not Required
Regular property maintenance is necessary and essential and therefore does not require permits. More significant work does require ARB permits. The following helps to clarify the kind of work that falls under the heading of regular maintenance, and what would be more significant.
Examples of maintenance/repair/upkeep that DOES NOT REQUIRE AN ARB PERMIT:
- Minor roof repair (due to a roof leak or missing shingles)
- Wood rot and touch up paint after the repair
- Pool cleaning
- Power washing
- Landscape maintenance
- Driveway repair due to cracking or lifting (seal coating, patching or overlay resurfacing to the affected section)
- Replacing gutters to match existing gutters
- Re-staining or re-sealing of a deck or patio
- Removal of debris from a fallen tree
- Stucco repair due to cracks
- Exterior work that changes the appearance (color, materials, etc.) or footprint of the existing property ALWAYS requires an ARB permit.
Examples that REQUIRE AN ARB PERMIT:
- Adding gutters to a home that does not already have a gutter system in place
- Repainting (even if the home will be painted the same colors)
- Reroofing (even if the new roof will match the existing color/material)
- Replacing/changing a driveway (even if replacing it to the same color/material)
- Extending a deck or patio
- Addition ornamental features (such as exterior lights or skylights)
- Extensive changes to landscaping where it alters more than 50%
- Tree trimming/removal/bush hogging
- Replacing a window or door (even if the new door/window will be the exact style/color)
- Pool maintenance for re-plaster or re-tile (even if replacing with the same color)
If there are any questions, or you would like further clarification as to what requires a permit or not, please do not hesitate to contact the ARB Manager, Monica Stites at (843) 785-1109 or at email@example.com.