What is Palmetto Dunes policy on the noise created by lawn maintenance companies?

Palmetto Dunes supports the HHI Ordinance (§ 17-4-114. Prohibited Acts) of keeping any noise from exceeding 76 Db when measured from any other property under separate ownership.  To encourage lawn maintenance companies to acquire newer, noise-friendly equipment Palmetto Dunes will list companies who indicate that their equipment is 80db or less.

Note:  (Newer equipment from Echo and Stihl all pass this 80db requirement, whereas older equipment and equipment from Husqvarna, Red Max and Poulan can be as noisy as 106 Db. Every 6Db increase results in twice the noise.)

If you wish to add a noise-friendly company to this list please contact Elizabeth Simpson at esimpson@pdpoa.org.

Current list of companies with lawn maintenance equipment that is 80db or quieter:

  • Bruno’s Lawn and Landscaping
  • The Greenery
  • JR Landscaping

There is a Hilton Head Island-wide initiative to switch leaf blowers, edgers, and trimmers from gas to battery-powered in approximately 2 years (early 2027).  This 2-year lead time is to allow companies to retire gas-powered equipment as it wears out and replace it with much more environmentally and noise-friendly equipment.

The following landscaping companies are already switching to this battery-powered equipment for blowers, edgers, and trimmers. PD encourages owners to pursue companies who use these much more environmentally and noise-friendly equipment in our community.

• The Greenery

An example of a new battery-powered backpack blower:


Can I get a variance for setback lines?

Variances are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. An ARB application will have to be submitted for the project along with your variance request, to be reviewed at a monthly ARB meeting.

Do I need an up-to-date site survey?

If your project is changing the footprint of your property (including hardscape projects), a current site survey, no older than 5 years, will have to be submitted for the project.

Do I need a path to the service yard?

All new construction must show a designated pathway from the driveway to the service yard, or wherever trash bins are stored. For renovations, if the existing service yard does not have the required pathway, one will have to be installed.

Will I need to mitigate for trees being removed?

Should any existing trees be removed through the approval by the ARB, then the ARB, in its discretion, may require mitigating replacement trees per our Tree Mitigation schedule.

What requires an ARB permit?

Most exterior work, and any interior only work that requires a dumpster or portable toilet onsite, requires an ARB permit. A “Stop Work Order” can be issued, as well as a citation, for working without an ARB permit (as well as working with an expired or unposted permit). Regular property maintenance/repair/upkeep does not require a permit. Please refer to section 6.2 for a list of examples as to what will require an ARB permit and what will not. You can also call the ARB Manager to inquire if your project requires a permit or not.

Do I need a permit if I am painting my home the same exact colors or reroofing my home with the same shingle color?

Even if you are painting your home with the same colors or reroofing your home with the same shingle color, an ARB application will need to be submitted and an ARB permit issued for it.

Why must I paint a sample of my house colors if I am not changing the colors and repainting my house with the same colors?

Over time, colors fade and what comes out of a new can may not be the same color that was painted over 10 years ago. Also, the color codes that were used previously from a vendor might not be matched exactly where there would be a slight difference to what was painted before. The ARB has a right to refuse a house color that was approved previously that is not longer an approved color in today’s standards.

Where should I post my ARB permit?

Permits should be posted either on a window or door visible from the street, on an approved builder’s sign, or on a wooden post in the yard by the street. They should not be stapled/nailed to a tree. Permits should then be removed from the property (either by the homeowner or contractor) once the project is complete and before requesting a final inspection.

When does the ARB meet for their monthly ARB meeting?

The ARB meets on the Monday of the same week as the Board of Directors meeting. Depending on the scope of work, the application will be reviewed either at the monthly ARB meeting or administratively for approval.

What is the turnaround time for an ARB permit to be issued?

Depending on the scope of work, if an application can be reviewed administratively, and the application is approved, then the ARB permit will be issued within 3 business days once all items have been submitted for review. If the application must go in front of the whole ARB at their monthly meeting, then the ARB decision will be sent in a formal letter, via email, within 3 business days of their monthly meeting.

How can I get a citation that was issued for an ARB violation voided?

Once a citation is issued, it can only be voided through the appeal process. The appeal board meets once a month and an appeal request must be submitted within 15 days of the date of the citation. All appeal decisions are final and binding.

Is synthetic turf allowed?

Artificial products (such as turf, rubber mulch) are not allowed.

Is a fence allowed around my pool or around my backyard?

Fences are not allowed.

Do I need a permit for interior work?

You do not need a permit for interior work. The only time one would be required is if you need a dumpster or portable toilet onsite or if you are replacing any windows or doors that are at the exterior of your home.

Do you have a list of approved exterior colors?

We have a color/material board with pre-approved/suggested colors that are for siding, trim and roof. This board is located at our administrative office, as well as in the ARB Design & Construction Guidelines document. The Preferred Color Board can be found online here: https://pdpoa.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Exterior-House-Colors-and-Roofs.pdf.

Can I have a vegetable garden?

Vegetable gardens are allowed as long as there is no fencing around them. You can have them in a raised planter bed as long as it is not higher than 18 inches.

Do I need a permit if I am doing landscape work?

If you are altering more than 50 percent of your overall landscaping, then you will require a permit. If you are not altering more than 50 percent, you will not require a permit, but you should make sure that you adhere to our landscape guidelines found within this document.

If you are doing any landscaping within the 20 foot OCRM wetland buffer (only applies to homes on lakes and lagoon), you will require Town of HHI approval as well as the ARB. No new sod is allowed to be installed within the 20 foot OCRM wetland buffer. If sod is existing, you are allowed to keep it and maintain it, but it must not be removed and replaced with new sod.

What are the building setbacks for my property?

All properties within Mariners and the Hunt Club Woods side of Inverness are as follows:

i. Building setbacks are 30 feet from the front property line, 15 feet from the side property lines, and 50 feet from the rear property line. If your property is on a lake or lagoon and you have an easement on file, you can measure the rear setback by the edge of the water.

ii. Pool setbacks are 20 feet from the side property lines and 30 feet from the rear property line. If your property is on a lake or lagoon and you have an easement on file, you can measure the rear setback by the edge of the water.

All properties within the St. George side of Inverness are as follows:

i. Building setbacks are 30 feet from the front property line, 15 feet from the side property lines, and 30 feet from the rear property line. If your property is on the lagoon, you can measure the rear setback by the edge of the water.

ii. Pool setbacks are 20 feet from the side property lines and 20 feet from the rear property line. If your property is on the lagoon, you can measure the rear setback by the edge of the water.

What is the maximum permitted building height?

Palmetto Dunes has a 47 feet above mean sea level (AMSL) height restriction.

Aside from an ARB permit, does my project require a Town permit?

You or your contractor will have to contact the town to inquire if your project requires one.

I know that parking on the street is not allowed, but what happens if my project does not allow me to park on my driveway?

Please reach out to the ARB Manager or Security with your request and they will be able to let you know if they will approve street parking during the timeframe you are not able to park on your driveway. They will also be able to approve parking on your property outside of your driveway. Failure to obtain permission to park on the street or another area on your property outside of your driveway (such as pine straw or grass) could result in a citation.

What do I do if I am having issues with my contractor? Can the ARB assist me?

Unfortunately, the ARB and PDPOA cannot get involved between homeowners and 3rd party vendors that they contract.

Can I replace rotten wood boards on my deck without a permit?

Wood rot is considered maintenance/upkeep, so an ARB permit is not required. If the project is more major, call the ARB Manager to verify. As long as it is minor wood rot, you will be able to replace the wood boards and touch it up with paint without a permit.

Can I apply stain/sealant to my wood deck every 2 years without a permit?

Yes, as this is considered maintenance/upkeep.

Do I need a new survey if I am just replacing my deck in the same footprint?

No, you do not need a new survey if the footprint of your property does not change. You will only require a new survey if you are changing the footprint of your property, either structurally or with hardscape.

What are my options if I disagree with an ARB decision?

Adverse decisions from the ARB can be appealed back to the ARB within 10 days from the date of notice of the adverse decision. This process is asking for a “Reconsideration”. The ARB will set aside Reconsideration time at their next scheduled ARB monthly meeting and invite the homeowner, or their representative (Architect-Builder-contractor), to attend in person with additional input on the subject. If the ARB rejects the Reconsideration, then the homeowner may request for the ARB Manager, within 10 days from the date of notice of the Reconsideration, to set up a final appeal before the Palmetto Dunes Hearing Board which will make the final, and binding, decision. Please refer to section 6.7 of the ARB Design & Construction Guidelines for complete details.

Why do I need to pay a fee for a simple project?

Some of the “simple projects” have been moved to the “maintenance” category and require no fee or permit (Section 6.2). Other fees have been modified to better fit the significance of the project. While “free” always sounds better, the ARB puts measurable effort into each project approval via reviewing, corresponding, onsite inspections (if applicable), final approval, permitting, tracking, and oversight.

Which permits trigger a full ARB inspection and why?

Any renovation requiring ARB approval also subjects the property to an overall ARB inspection to ensure the property meets current ARB standards. If deficiencies are found, issuance of the ARB permit may be contingent upon the owner’s agreement to bring the property into compliance with the current Guidelines. These types of renovations are projects that require a compliance deposit to be paid for the issuance of the ARB permit.

Can we get recycling cans on the beach?

The beaches on Hilton Head Island, including in front of the property in Palmetto Dunes, are maintained by the Town of Hilton Head Island. They contract with Shore Beach Services for all trash services. They are currently only placing recycling bins at public beach access points. From the Dunes House to the south, there are 19 recycling bins. North of the Dunes House in Palmetto Dunes, there are no recycling bins at beach access points because the accesses are private.

During summer months, what are the trucks spraying in the community at night and what is their schedule?

These trucks are spraying for mosquitos. Sprayings are conducted on Mondays (weather permitting) after 9PM and are adjusted as needed.

What is the plan for the Dunes Club located along Carnoustie Road?

The Palmetto Dunes Club on Carnoustie Road does not belong to the Palmetto Dunes POA. It was previously a private club and once it closed its doors several years ago became the property of Greenwood Communities & Resorts as a result of a reverter clause in the deed. Unfortunately, Palmetto Dunes POA community standards only apply to the single and multi-family properties—not commercial properties. We do not know of any current plans that Greenwood has for the building.

When requesting security assistance due to a noisy neighbor, am I required to identify myself to the dispatcher?

It is normal for our dispatcher to ask for the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, etc. However, we accept anonymous complaints and respond to all calls for service. Should the complainant identify themselves, we do not provide this information to the suspect(s).

If I am having a problem with a neighbor for a violation of the policies and guidelines, what can I do?

If residents cannot resolve a situation between themselves, then turn to your association. Should you have a situation that does not appear to be resolved through neighborly means, and you are willing to actively participate in the enforcement provided by the policies and guidelines, you may submit a formal complaint by calling 843-785-1109. If the situation is deemed in violation of the policies and guidelines, the board of directors will institute the enforcement policy. Your continued assistance may be required.

Are board meetings open to all residents? If so, where and when are they held?

Yes. Notice of the time of any regular board meeting will be noted in the Palmetto Perspective newsletter, or accessed online on the News or Events page. Typically board meetings are held at 2pm on the third Thursday of each month. All board meetings are held at the PDPOA Administration Building, located at 16 Queens Folly Rd inside Palmetto Dunes. Contact the PDPOA office for directions and confirmation of date and time by calling 843-785-1109.

What is my assessment?

The assessment is the annual amount due from each homeowner to cover the operating expenses of the common area and provide for reserve funds for replacement of common facilities in future years. Your assessment is due and payable on or before the first day of March of the calendar year for which it is applicable. We will send statements for assessments detailing the amount due.

How is the amount of my assessment determined?

The governing documents will typically establish the initial assessment. This annual budget is set upon specific guidelines for utilities, landscaping, administration, etc. Reserve funds are monies set aside for future expenses due to the life expectancy of certain items: lighting, street resurfacing, pool equipment, etc. These amounts are then divided by the number of units built in a given phase of the development. Subsequent budgets are developed by the board of directors and adjusted periodically to meet anticipated expenses.

Will my assessment go up?

There is no concrete answer to this. Typically the statutes and or governing documents provide for annual increases not to exceed an established percent per year without the vote of the membership. The board of directors may approve an increased budget, increasing your assessment up to this percentage in order to cover increased costs of operating and maintaining the common area and sufficient reserve funds.

What happens if I don’t pay my assessment?

The maintenance and management services incurred by the association are dependent upon timely receipt of the assessments from each homeowner. Late payments will result in a late charge; assessments are due and payable on or before March 1st of the calendar year for which it is applicable. The CC&Rs allows the association to charge late charges and interest and enter into foreclosure proceedings for non-payment of assessments.

What area is maintained by the PDPOA and what is maintained by Greenwood?

PDPOA maintains the common areas – roads, bridges, lagoon, leisure paths, and landscaped areas like Queens Folly corridor – the non-revenue producing amenities. Greenwood Communities & Resorts, the corporate entity in the community, is responsible for the income-producing amenities, such as the three golf courses and pro-shops, tennis courts, General Store, Big Jim’s, Dunes House, Outfitters, The PD Club, etc.

Who do I contact about wildlife (aggressive alligators, raccoons out in the day, dead deer, etc.)?

Please contact Security at 843-785-1120 if you need any assistance with any wildlife issues in Palmetto Dunes. For alligator calls, a Security officer and third-party wildlife service provider will be dispatched to locate and/or monitor the alligator. We will rely on the recommendation of the wildlife service provider in determining if an alligator should be harvested.

Who do I contact for maintenance issues?

If it is in a common area, contact the PDPOA Admin Office at 843-785-1109. If it is in a condominium or villa complex, please contact your regime management company. See page 38 for a list of the regime companies.

Are drones allowed in PD?

No. Due to the density of the tree canopy in Palmetto Dunes, as well as, but not limited to, safety and privacy concerns, the recreational use of unmanned aircraft is strictly prohibited in Palmetto Dunes. Commercial use of unmanned aircraft may be authorized on a case-by-case basis. For an application for commercial drone use, call 843-785-1109.

Who is my trash service company?

Each property owner contracts for their own service, choosing the company they prefer. Most of the regimes arrange for the trash service for their villa or condo complex. If you own within one of the regimes, please contact your association before making arrangements.

Who do I contact if I’m looking to change the color of my house?

Any changes to the exterior of your home must be approved by the ARB. The ARB Manager can be reached at 843-785-1109.

When is the lagoon lowered?

The lagoon is lowered once a month, normally on a Tuesday evening, to start raising back Wednesday night and be at normal levels by the weekend. Our current lagoon lowering schedule can be found on our web site. Lagoon lowering schedule is subject to change depending on weather conditions and high tide.

Do I need a pass?

If you are visiting the following locations, you do not need a pass and can proceed directly to your destination via Queen’s Folly Road:

Alexander’s Restaurant
Fire Station #6
The General Store
Marriott Resort and Spa
Palmetto Dunes Dept. of Security Ops and Pass Office
Palmetto Dunes Property Owners Association
Palmetto Dunes Guest and Information Services
Palmetto Dunes Marketing
Palmetto Dunes Tennis Courts
Robert Trent Jones Golf Course and Pro Shop
Big Jim’s
Hilton Head Outfitters
If you have a reservation at the Omni Resort, please go directly to the South Gate to pick up your pass.

If you have a tee time for the Fazio or Arthur Hills Golf Course, please go directly to the South Gate to pick up your pass.

Visitors to the Leamington Lighthouse must check in at the South Gate.

Authorized visitors to Leamington (Villas) must proceed through the South Gate after obtaining a pass.

Authorized visitors to Leamington (Residential) may check-in at the Leamington 278 Gate House daily between the hours of 9:00 am – 7:00 pm. Beyond these hours, guests must proceed through the South Gate after obtaining a pass.

All other visitors must obtain a pass at the Pass Office located at 16 Queen’s Folly Road.

Are motorcycles allowed at Palmetto Dunes?

No, motorcycles cannot be driven anywhere on Palmetto Dunes property. Violators are subject to receiving a citation and/or having their vehicle towed at the owners expense.

Can I bring a boat, jet-ski, or motorcycle on a trailer to my house?

Trailers are not allowed to be exposed at a residence. If they can be secured in a garage, they are permitted. Exceptions may be made for temporary loading or dropping off of equipment. You can apply for a parking waiver at any gatehouse to be considered for this exception or contact our office at 843-785-1120.

Do I need a pass/decal to go to St. Andrew’s Common or Queen’s Grant?

Yes, this applies to commercial vendors, residents, and guests. Violators will be cited for any such violations.

Can I tape my homeowner decal to the inside of my windshield?

No, they must be affixed to the exterior of the windshield. Exceptions are allowed for vehicles registered in states where placement of decals on windshields is prohibited. These can be placed on the vehicle’s bumper. For more information, contact our office at 843-785-1125.

Where do I pay a citation?

If you were issued a state citation, please refer to the instructions on the front of the citation. Private citations may be paid by mail or by contacting 843-785-1120.

Where can I go to put my boat in the lagoon?

Our boat ramp is located adjacent to the Queen’s Folly Bridge. Please contact our office to arrange for admittance. A valid Palmetto Dunes boat decal is required and can be purchased by homeowners at our Pass Office. Kayaks and canoes may be launched at our launch docks in Mariners and Inverness.

Are there any other rules?

Most associations have developed rules and regulations as provided for in the CC&Rs and adopted by the board of directors. Rules are established to provide direction to the homeowners for common courtesies with regard to parking, vehicles, pets and pool use hours, etc. In addition, your association will adopt architectural guidelines with procedures for submitting requests to make exterior changes to your home. Such changes may include patio covers, decks, landscaping, exterior color changes or extensive exterior changes and additions. These rules and guidelines, also known as the PP&Gs, are set up to maintain the aesthetic value and integrity of the community on behalf of all owners, and hopefully protect the market value of your investment as well. Violations of these rules may result in action by the board of directors and a fine. In addition, if you proceed with an exterior improvement or change without written approval of the board of directors or an ARB permit from the architectural committee, as applicable, you will be required to remove or correct the alteration and/or be fined for the violation. The full CC&Rs can be found on pdpoa.org.

What is the board of directors?

The property owners association again is a corporation and therefore a governing body is required to oversee its business. The board of directors is elected by the homeowners, or as otherwise specified in the bylaws. The limitation and restrictions of the powers of the board of directors is outlined in the Association governing documents which can be viewed online at pdpoa.org.

What are the Bylaws?

The bylaws are the guidelines for the operation of the non-profit corporation. The bylaws define the duties of the various offices of the board of directors, the terms of the directors, the membership’s voting rights, required meetings and notices of meetings and the principal office of the association, as well as other specific items that are necessary to run the association as a business. The bylaws for the association may be viewed online at pdpoa.org.

What are the CC&R’S?

The Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions (CC&Rs) are the governing legal documents that set up the guidelines for the operation of the planned community as a non-profit corporation. The CC&Rs were recorded by the Beaufort County recorder’s office and are included in the title to your property. Failure to abide by the CC&Rs may result in a fine to a homeowner by the Association. The governing legal documents for the association may be viewed online at pdpoa.org.

What is a property owners association?

It is a non-profit corporation registered with the state and managed by a duly elected board of directors. Its purpose is to maintain all common areas and to govern the community in accordance with the provision of the legal documents: covenants, conditions and restrictions (CC&Rs), bylaws, and articles of incorporation. The governing legal documents for the association may be viewed online at pdpoa.org. The corporation is financially supported by all members of the property owners association. Membership is both automatic and mandatory.