HURRICANE IAN UPDATE
Friday, Sept. 30
At 11am, the center of Hurricane Ian was located about 60 miles east-southeast of Charleston, South Carolina. Ian is moving toward the north near 14 mph (22 km/h). Ian is forecast to move more quickly toward the north today followed by a turn toward the north-northwest by tonight. On the forecast track, the center of Ian will reach the coast of South Carolina today near the Santee river, and then move farther inland across eastern South Carolina and central North Carolina tonight and Saturday.
WHAT IS PDPOA DOING?
- PDPOA staff continues its emergency operations procedures, and will continue to monitor the storm.
- Admin and Pass Office lobbies are closed. The Pass Office window is open until 6pm. The Front Gate will remain staffed until 6pm. At 6pm tonight, the north and south gates will re-open.
- The Palmetto Dunes POA is planning to provide hurricane-related vegetative debris pickup service. Click here for our Storm Debris Pickup Policy.
- We will allow contractor access into the community on Saturday and Sunday but for clean-up efforts only. Routine construction work will not be allowed under any circumstances, unless it is for storm-related damage.
- We will begin bringing water back into the lagoon on Saturday, October 1.
- Reminder: Proxy cards are due at 5pm on Friday, September 30. Due to our Admin Office being closed please drop off cards at the Pass Office window. Proxy cards can also be submitted online by clicking here.
- Greenwood Resort Operations:
- Currently Closed Friday, September 30:
The Dunes House
Palmetto Dunes Welcome Center (Front Desk)
Robert Trent Jones, Fazio and Hills Golf Courses
Tennis & Pickleball Center
Hilton Head Outfitters
Southern Tide at Shelter Cove
Shelter Cove Marina/Ship’s Store
The Palmetto Dunes General Store is currently open on Friday, Sept. 30, but the kitchen is closed (no breakfast or lunch service). They may close early depending on weather.
All businesses are tentatively reopening on Saturday, October 1, but please check our resort update page for current updates. Please note that golf course grills may not be serving breakfast tomorrow morning.
- Currently Closed Friday, September 30:
WHAT ARE THE TOWN, COUNTY, & STATE DOING?
- The Town of Hilton Head Island’s Emergency Operations Center closed as of noon today.
- Town Fire Rescue resumed normal staffing as of noon today.
- Town of Hilton Head Island Government offices are closed today.
- The Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office Emergency Management Division continues to monitor the storm and its impacts on Beaufort County. At this time, areas of Beaufort County are experiencing rain and wind gusts up to 40+ mph. They continue to encourage residents and visitors to stay off the road.
- All Beaufort County offices and facilities are closed today.
- County Convenience Centers will be closed today. Depending on weather and safety issues, it’s anticipated that those centers that normally operate on Saturday, will be open. However, if it not safe to do so, an announcement will be posted.
- Beaufort County Schools will have eLearning and remote work today.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
- If you reside on Hilton Head, continue to monitor the storm.
- Please reach out to any neighbors that might need assistance.
- Rip currents will become strong off our coastline and surf may be dangerous for all levels of swimmers. Remember to heed the advice of beach patrol and flag warning systems.
- Subscribe to the Town and County emergency alert systems. These will deliver up-to-date notifications to your phone and email.
- Subscribe to PDPOA Text Alert System by texting the word “alerts” to 877-379-3711 or clicking here.
- Beaufort County Emergency Management
This free mobile app from the Sheriff’s Office will help you prepare and plan for how to respond to a disaster in your area. It includes alerts, an evacuation map and a list of contact information and locations for various services.
- NOAA Weather Radar
View animated weather radar images and hyperlocal storm patterns.
TOWN, COUNTY & STATE
- Town of HHI Hurricane Center
- Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office Storm Center
- South Carolina Emergency Management Division
- Town of HHI – Facebook
- Town of HHI – Twitter
- Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office – Facebook
- Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office – Twitter