Published March 28, 2020
The Town Council is vitally concerned about the health and safety of our residents and visitors. At this time of extraordinary emergency arising from the COVID-19 pandemic, public health and safety is forefront in our actions. The Town of Hilton Head Island is issuing this advisory to all residents and visitors on Hilton Head Island. We urge all residents and visitors to take these matters seriously, and to comply with this Advisory:
- (A) The Governor’s Executive Order of March 27, 2020, requires any person who has traveled to Hilton Head Island from any area with substantial community spread of COVID-19, including but not limited to New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, the City of New Orleans, Louisiana, is required, to self quarantine for a period of Fourteen (14) Days.
(B) The Governor’s Order also applies to anyone who has traveled to such areas and returned to Hilton Head Island.
(C) A violation of the Order of the Governor can result in criminal penalties of up to thirty (30) days imprisonment and up to a One Thousand ($1,000.00) Dollar fine.
(D) Any person who travels to Hilton Head Island from any locality other than those localities named in 1 (A) above is strongly advised and urged to self-quarantine for a period of fourteen (14) days from the date of arrival, and to follow all Centers for Disease Control Guidelines for self-quarantine.
- All residents and guests on Hilton Head Island are strongly advised and urged to “shelter-in-place.” This means you should stay in your home except for essential business such as purchasing groceries, medicine, fuel or necessary visits for medical treatment.
- This advisory does not apply to “essential business & services” as defined by the department of homeland security, but we urge everyone to seriously consider whether or not their business outside of the home is truly “essential” during this time.
- All residents and guests on Hilton Head Island are strongly advised and urged to act as if every other person has been exposed to COVID-19 and to follow the advice from medical experts:
wash your hands frequently;
avoid touching your face, nose and eyes; and,
sanitize items from outside your home, such as grocery purchases, deliveries of mail and packages.
- Seek medical help immediately if you experience symptoms you believe may indicate you have Coronavirius exposure, or COVID-19, such as:
shortness of breath or difficulty breathing;
persistent pain or pressure in the chest;
confusion or inability to arouse;
bluish lips or face.
- All residents and guests on Hilton Head Island are strongly advised and urged to act as if every other person has been exposed to COVID-19, and practice social distancing, including:
avoid groups larger that 3 people;
maintain social distancing of at least 6 feet apart at all times; and,
completely cover your mouth when coughing and to cover your mouth and nose when sneezing, but not with your hand.
- We strongly advise and urge those who are not permanent residents of Hilton Head Island to follow the advice and guidelines of their localities, the CDC and the United States Government, and avoid all unnecessary travel. At this time of nationwide emergency, this includes avoiding travel to Hilton Head Island.
- All residents and guests on the island are strongly advised and urged to continue to exercise and to enjoy the spring weather, but to follow this advisory when exercising. It is important that our residents and guests remember to avoid unnecessary congregation at any place.
For more information: https://hiltonheadislandsc.gov/publicsafety/coronavirus/