Your Input is Needed: Town’s Short-Term Rental Initiative
Your Input is Important
The Town of Hilton Head Island has launched an initiative to seek solutions and address concerns related to short-term rentals. The association has been and will continue to be involved with stakeholders and the Town throughout this project.
“Short-term rentals have long been a part of the Island’s hospitality industry. We know residents have concerns about their growing numbers and the impacts they may have on adjacent properties and neighborhoods. The lack of a short-term rental ordinance for the Town has led to an imbalance between residential and resort districts and the changes to some long-term single-family neighborhoods,” said Anne Cyran, Interim Comprehensive Planning Manager.
“We are investigating ways to develop a fair, predictable, and balanced approach to manage short-term rental impacts on our neighborhoods, economy, housing stock, public facilities, and the quality of life of our residents and experiences of our visitors,” Cyran said.
As part of the initiative to work toward viable solutions, the Town:
- Hired White & Smith, Planning and Law Group of Charleston, South Carolina as consultants.
- Hosted several focus group sessions with property managers, realtors, residents, and other stakeholders to hear their concerns and gather input.
- Scheduled additional stakeholder meetings in December and January:
- Scheduled two in-person public open houses to describe the project to the public and solicit input. The first open house will be held on Saturday, January 8, 2022, from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Hilton Head Public Service District Community Room, 21 Oak Park Drive. The second open house will be held on Thursday, January 20, 2022, from 11a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Hilton Head Branch Library Large Meeting Room, 11 Beach City Road.
- Scheduled two virtual stakeholder meetings for short-term rental owners and the public. The first virtual meeting will be held on Thursday, January 20, 2022, from 3 – 5 p.m. The second virtual meeting will be held on Monday, January 31, 2022, from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. Specific information on how to participate in the virtual meetings will be posted in the near future on the Town’s website at https://hiltonheadislandsc.gov/short-termrentals/.
- Launched a survey to gather more public feedback. The survey is available on the Town’s website at https://hiltonheadislandsc.gov/short-termrentals/. It will be available for public response through January 31, 2022.
Cyran said all the feedback will be important. Members of the public who have questions about the short-term rental initiative may submit them online at https://hiltonheadislandsc.gov/short-termrentals/questions/
As property owners on Hilton Head Island, your input is very important in this process. We encourage you to participate in one of the stakeholder meetings, take the online survey, and sign-up for Short-Term Rental Ordinance project updates from the Town. Click here to sign-up for email updates from the Town of Hilton Head.